Posted July 12, 2018 10:25:00 Ontario Provincial police have arrested more than 30 people across the province in connection with a major crackdown on a growing international drug trafficking network that has spread across the country.
The province says the operation, dubbed “Operation Chilmark,” is targeting an alleged international drug smuggling network operating out of Toronto and Montreal.
“This is a multi-agency operation,” Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne said Tuesday.
“The RCMP is the lead agency in this operation and the province is assisting with the operation in several ways.
“Operation Chinmark” was announced in February. “
It saw the seizure of more than $40 million in cash, firearms and a variety of other property. “
Operation Chinmark” was announced in February.
It saw the seizure of more than $40 million in cash, firearms and a variety of other property.
The drugs seized include: marijuana, fentanyl, ketamine and MDMA, all controlled substances, according to the province.
It is the first time that police have seized drugs from a single individual in Ontario.
In addition to arresting the accused, the province says it also arrested several suspected gang members in connection to the operation.
Police said in a statement they seized nearly $6 million worth of illicit goods and vehicles, as well as a $1.8 million cash payment in exchange for the drugs.
The total value of seized property is expected to exceed $25 million.
The raids come as police continue to clamp down on the growing international demand for fentanyl, which is also known as “Krokodil.”
The synthetic opioid is also the main ingredient in street drugs like heroin and fentanyl.
The provincial government announced earlier this month it would introduce mandatory minimum sentencing for drug offenders.
It is a move that has sparked outrage among those who say it could lead to a dramatic increase in the drug’s availability.